Prioritise walking and cycling by filtering modes in local streets, granting greater through connectivity to these modes.
Benefits and considerations
- Encourages walking and cycling by reducing vehicle volume
- Retains through movement for walking and riding
- Reduces noise and pollution for people living in the neighbourhood
- Redirects private vehicles to more appropriate corridors
- Requires additional devices such as boulders or bollards to be effective against larger vehicles simply driving across the closure
Lawrence Street, Alexandria, has been retrofitted to permit cycling to continue through while restricting access for private vehicles. This is one of several similar interventions in the surrounding residential street network which collectively encourage walking and cycling and direct vehicular through-traffic to higher movement corridors nearby, improving the amenity of the street for people who live there.
Lawrence Street, Alexandria between Maddox Street and Harley Street
No current street view available
City of Sydney